Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OQO 3 from Beijing Audiotone

jsyli

OQO 3 from Beijing Audiotone

Dear all --

I just learned that the previous partner of OQO, Inc. in the mainland China, Audiotone has announced on July 18 the launching of four new models (they called it the OQO 3) all running on Intel chipset, Z515, Z530, Z540 and Z550 with CPU speed 1.2 GHz, 1.6 GHz, 1.86 GHz to 2.0 GHz respectively.

You may click to the following link for details.

www.oqo.cc

Sorry guys, it's in simplified Chinese. Can someone please enlighten me if these models are genuine ones?

Cheers!
    -- Jackson
    HKSAR

xura

Re: OQO 3 from Beijing Audiotone

wow, that's nice!

err.. language barrier..~
    can't find import button..~

hope there's some kind of "not chinese? can't read it? import here!!" button or something like that..

xura

errk, the best's like.. 4.7k?!

Administrator

This is not what is "OQO" Inc these days.

Audiotone attempted to buy OQO and did do-diligence 2x's and walked away with way to much knowledge.

If anything this is just going to be copy attempt. The people that are OQO now would not work things out with audiotone. Who knows what this is? But no OQO IP went to them.

qx773

You can use Google's translate feature in the drop down menu to translate the web site. One of the pages on that site states:

UMPC's leading brand OQO, will launch in the third quarter of 2010, New Model03.

03 article in appearance design of ultra-small size, OQO MODEL 03 still uphold the ultra-slim design, measuring 143.2mm x 84.2mm x 27.8mm, while weight control 426g, the material, continue to use magnesium alloy casing, The military high-strength lightweight materials OQO MODEL 03 with Intel high performance CPU, the maximum frequency up to 2.0GHz, than the OQO MODEL 02-processor computing power exponentially enhanced multimedia capabilities is to raise 5 times more memory capacity into fold enhancement, from OQO MODEL 02's 512MB-1G upgraded to 1-2GB of memory, a variety of 3G network support, OQO MODEL 03 on WCDMA \ EVDO \ TD-SCDMA and other 3G network support, perfect interpretation of the Internet anytime, anywhere exchange of product concept, the TrackPoint is upgraded to OFN [optical finger navigation] sensitive mouse pointer, the use of more simple, more user-use habits by the multi-touch screen technology, touch technology added to the use of more OQO MODEL 03 Simple.
    Last edited by qx773; 07-22-2010 at 04:39 PM.

qx773

All of the OQO 03 models have Windows 7 and a 4.8" multi-touch LCD which supports 1024x600 resolution.

1.2Ghz Intel Z515, SSD 32GB, 1GB memory, price: 12,999 yuan, about $1,919
    1.6Ghz Intel Z530, SSD 64GB, 1GB memory, price: 16,999 yuan, about $2,508
    1.86Ghz Intel Z540, SSD 64GB, 2GB memory, price: 23,888 yuan, about $3,524
    2.0Ghz Intel Z550, SSD 128GB, 2GB memory, price: 31,888 yuan, about $4,704

I doubt that these OQO 03 computers will work with the OQO model 02 dock.

Super Moderator

My guess is Audiotone and retrofitting and refurbishing old OQOs in circulation---including buying up any (used) batteries they can find---and repacking these as 'model 03' to well-heeled businessmen in China.

You know, I'm not sure what to make of all this.

On one hand, it's sickening that Audiotone is ripping off the OQO form factor and even blatantly using the OQO name/brand by pretending to extend the defunct UMPC series. They must figure that since the company no longer exists, no one would care enough to try to pursue copyright/patent litigation in China (good luck with that).

On the other hand, it heartening to see the well-loved OQO design live on in another product, and with a nice hardware upgrade to boot... even though this is some bastardized child of a Californian OQO and his Beijing mistress.
    RIP: OQO 02, 1.5GHz, 64GB RunCore SSD, Windows 7
    RIP: OQO e2, 1.5GHz*, 32GB Samsung SSD, Windows XP (*CPU downgrade)

Administrator

last I heard audiotone still owed a substantial amount to OQO. It had a large stock of 1.2ghz units. It did attempt to buy them but it seems it was just fishing for prodution details.

No clue as to 4.8" 1024x600 resolution thats new to me, but time changes what can be found in the current form factor. I'd love to see an OhQO 03 or what ever it will be called. But I will point out via oqo.com if it's released that it is a knock off and not the real deal. I've been asked to keep oqo.com as is...locked in time so to speak.

None of the current group would sue I think as that is just a mess to deal with being China and all. And lets be clear who audiotone is...it's a government run company. The EC and other parts of the subsystem have crypto protecting the code but it can be broken with out a great deal effort.

Super Moderator

Come to think about it, my contact in Venture did tell me that they were approached several times by interested parties in China interested to purchase some of their OQO manufacturing capabilities. Must have been Audiotone doing more fishing.
    RIP: OQO 02, 1.5GHz, 64GB RunCore SSD, Windows 7
    RIP: OQO e2, 1.5GHz*, 32GB Samsung SSD, Windows XP (*CPU downgrade)

Quote Originally Posted by qx773 View Post
    I doubt that these OQO 03 computers will work with the OQO model 02 dock.
    If the USB and power ports are in the same place and use the same hardware it seems it should work in view of the fact that the 02 dock still works with the 2+ and Windows 7.
    OQO 02 (1.5/60) Vista-Ultimate-SP2, IE9, Sprint, Dock
    OQO 2+ (1.86/64ssd) Windows 8, IE10 Gobi (Sprint/AT&T), Dock